We're sorry big terrycloth cotton towels - but we're breaking up with you. Your soft, I'll give you that. Your luxurious feel is not to be forgotten. But you're bulky, hard to carry around and you take too long to dry in this humid Caribbean climate. It's not you - it's us. We still love you and take you snorkeling with us - but in the intimacy of our bathrooms we're going to have to part ways.
Introducing stylish, colorful Turkish cotton pestemal towels
Pestemals are thin, large, dry quickly after use and are incredibly absorbent. An all-around better fit for the St. George's Experience. The owner and manager have been using these towels for some time and loved them so much that we decided to test them in our Oceanfront Cabanas for guest use. Due to the overwhelmingly positive response we've made the change in all Cabanas.
What is a Pestemal, anyway?
A pestemal (pesh-te-mahl) is an authentic Turkish bath towel. They are flat-woven with hand-tied fringe, typically made of Turkish cotton. It is also known as a hamam towel as it is an essential element of the legendary Turkish bath experience. Pestemals come in countless designs, textures, weights and colors. The hand towel version of the pestemal is called a peskir (pesh-kir). You can read more about these great towels here through Indigo Traders and purchase one for yourself if you'd like! They also have a great Gift Giving section for unique gift ideas.
The new towels also help us to maintain an environmentally friendly resort. The Pestemals are so light weight making them more energy-efficient than our terry cloth towels. They dry more quickly after use, so they don't take on a musty smell. They don't need laundering as often. And when it comes time to wash them, they take much less space in the washer and much less time in the dryer. Saving water and energy. When the weather is good we can even let them dry outdoors!
Breaking up is always hard to do. But usually for the better. In this case - we know its for the better. Better for the Earth, better for our guests and better for our climate here in Belize. We hope you enjoy them as we do!
Have you used the new towels? Let us know what you think.
The first time you meet Theresa she’ll likely be handing you your welcome drink as your arrive at the Resort. With her cheerful personality and witty humor Theresa brings the resort alive and keeps us all on our toes.
When she's not whipping up the best drinks in Belize she's coordinating social activities and training new team members. No mater your need while on the island, Theresa is your go-to gal.
Theresa is a native Belizean from Stann Creek in Southern Belize. She is the oldest of three children. Her favorite person is her little niece, Jereli, who she spends many of her days off with. "We are very hardworking people. Honest, friendly, loving and fun people." says Theresa about her family "And I consider our food to be the best." She enjoys traveling to different parts of Belize and taking her niece to the river.
Theresa has had unique experiences in the tourism industry watching little Belize grow. Having been in tourism for over ten years and with St. George's Caye Resort for almost two years Theresa brings confidence and knowledge to those visiting Belize. Next time you're with us ask her a little bit about what Belize was like fifteen years ago. She has some great stories. She is also well versed in the History of Belize and its people. Theresa tells us she enjoys St. George's because we work together as a team. Everyone does a little bit of everything.
"My favorite part of working here is everybody on the staff has the opportunity to learn different skills like snorkeling and diving."
In honor of Theresa we will leave you with her favorite drink recipe - the Pain Killer!
1 oz. Dark Rum
1 oz. White Rum
2 oz. Orange Juice
1 oz. Pineapple Juice
*Shake well with ice.
*Dip rim of glass in honey roasted coconut flakes.
What exactly is an unplugged vacation? Well, it’s a vacation sans television and phones focused on people - where you literally unplug yourself from the 24/7 cycle of electronic input. Laptops and cell phones consume our lives just about all day, every day. Elections, war news, stock markets, work emails, kids homework, text messages from your mother - it's hard to go ten minutes without checking your devices. But all these things take us away from the main reason we go on vacation - to get away from the daily grind, to reconnect, to refresh.
So why not purposely take a vacation designed to help you unplug? Designed to encourage true relaxation. Most of us are addicted to electronics and don't even realize it. Ask yourself, when is the last time I went to bed without watching the news? Or checking email - one last time?
Why plan unplugged vacation? Here are 5 Reasons you need to consider it:
- Your brain needs to detox. There is a gland in your brain called the pineal gland. Its responsible for regulating melatonin, which helps you to relax and get to sleep. Your computer screen overstimulates the pineal gland. When it’s overstimulated the melatonin in your body is suppressed and your sleep and rest periods will be automatically more difficult. Give your brain a break!
- Memories are not made staring into screens! Memories are made laughing over meals or chasing hermit crabs on the shore. Memories are made exploring ancient Mayan Ruins or hiking through jungles. Memories are made in private cabanas and staring into one another's eyes. You will return home with unforgettable memories.
- You'll have more sex! If you go to bed with the TV on you are 50% less likely to have sex. Enough said! A study by an Italian sexologist has found that couples who have a TV set in their bedroom have sex half as often as those who don't. "If there's no television in the bedroom, the frequency (of sexual intercourse) doubles," said Serenella Salomoni. Physically connecting with your partner benefits you both. And you will likely sleep better.
- Unplugged vacations encourage movement. Our bodies and our minds are happier when we move. When there is no television to watch you're more likely to take a leisurely walk go for a swim in the salty sea. You are more likely to be more active.
- Because at the end of the day - people matter most. Reconnect with your partner. Or your best friend. Or yourself! Cultivating healthy relationships is difficult when we are constantly distracted my text messages and emails. When is the last time you sat quietly and focused on yourself or your partner to the exclusion of everything else for days at a time? It will change your perspective and allow for more meaningful relationships.
St. George's Caye Resort in Belize is intentionally designed to help you disconnect with the noise of your busy life. And reconnect with yourself. We make it possible for you to check your email - just not inside your private Cabana. No televisions are to be found and most people won't get a cell phone signal. But no need to worry! We are not totally off the grid. Just enough to allow you to relax and experience the magic.
12 private thatched roof cabanas nestled on a tiny island. No roads. No stores. Just peaceful nature surrounds you. A place you can truly unwind, let loose, and relax. You will find yourself lost in the abundance of fish when your snorkel the Belize Barrier Reef. It will remind you how big and beautiful the world is and how your forgot you loved to travel. When you climb Mayan Temples with your partner you imagine what it was like living there all those years ago and it sparks an interesting conversation you may never have had. When you meet new friends at the beach BBQ you'll share stories of love and laughter underneath a sky full of stars. People matter most here at St. George's Caye Resort. Come share the magic of an unplugged vacation.
Choose and Unplugged Vacation for your next trip!
We invite you to experience the magic of an unplugged private island getaway at St. George's Caye Resort - The Gem of Belize. Getting here is easy - Leaving is hard!